About Solvang Gardens

About Solvang Gardens

In 1950, Mr. and Mrs. Hansen started construction of what is known today as Solvang Gardens Lodge. It was originally opened as an apartment building with the name “Solvang Gaard”. The word “gaard” in the name means a building or buildings placed in a square with an open courtyard. It could also mean, a small farm.
The building was constructed along Danish provincial architectural lines, with Viggo Brandt-Erichsen, Solvang sculptor and artist responsible for the architectural planning.
The Danish farm house type structure originally contained eight apartments unite. Five of these contained two bedrooms and a kitchenette and the other three had one bedroom with the separate kitchen. There were also eight separate garages for each apartment.
Then in 1953 Mr. and Mrs. Hansen announced the opening of what they described as “Solvang’s first motel”, with the conversion of the apartment house structure to a motel.
The large, typically Danish styled building had been used for its original purpose as an apartment house until Mr. and Mrs. Hansen felt that there was a definite need in Solvang for motel accommodations considering the fact that thousands of tourists visit Solvang and the Valley each year. Accommodations for the overnight and weekly guests in Solvang Gaard’s new role would help fill the void.
Later, part of the garage structure in the rear of the main building was converted into one-room motel units.
One of the more attractive units was the two-story studio apartment in the rear. The downstairs included a large kitchen, two bedrooms and bathroom, while upstairs was an attractive knotty pine studio living room.
Then through the years the apartments were converted into motel rooms, making a total of 24 rooms.
In 1999, gardens were added and the name was changed to the current name of, Solvang Gardens Lodge.